Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thank You Will.I.Am


Ode to Will.I.Am
His money where his mouth is
Heart equals conscious



The Real Homeland Security


what is homeland security when the youth can not afford education to secure a future?

what is homeland security when there are no jobs at home when kids graduate from college...???

i want to change what homeland security means...

and... i don't want to write a song about it...

i want to act on it...

and put my money where my mouth is...


i recently got paid a nice amount of money to dj at a tech convention...

when my manager told me the amount i was getting, all i could do was remember when i was 14 and i asked my mom for 2 turntables and a mixer...

when i was 14 my mom's rent in the projects was 150 dollars a month...

and here i am getting $xxx,000 dollars to dj...

in this economic crisis...

i didn't feel right...

maybe i'm crazy...

or maybe my mama just raised me right...

but i didn't feel right just taking it...

but i ain't stupid...


so i took the money...

but i want to do something smart with the money...

i want to invest the money in america's "real" future...

"the youth"

i want to send a kid to college for 4 years...

and i don't want them to pay me back...

i don't want them to rack up debt...

i don't want their parents or "parent" to stress...

i just want to give them an opportunity to make their dreams come true...

i want to re-define homeland security...

i want to take action...

especially now in a financial crisis...

you don't run for the hills...

you don't leave our future leaders behind...

you don't turn your backs on the youth in the name of "recession"...

you don't...

if anything...

you make personal sacrifices and assist our "tomorrow"...

you usher in a new mind state...

you nurture our future...

you support dreams...

you provide opportunities...

and thank you Oprah for letting me take a bold stand and show the youth "we are here" for them...

thank you mama for my 2 turntables and a mixer when you couldn't even afford it...

look what those 2 turntables did...

it sent 4 strangers to college...

thank you nanny for raising my mama the way you did...

because she raised us with a heart to give...

Read more about the i am Scholarship Program here.

1 comment: