Thursday, July 30, 2009

Misuse of Megestrol?

Megestrol is a progesterone derivative with antineoplastic properties used in the treatment of advanced carcinoma of the breast and endometrium. When given in relatively high doses, Megestrol can substantially increase appetite in most individuals, even those with advanced cancer.
Megestrol Acetate Oral Suspension (a form of Megestrol) is used primarily as an appetite enhancer. The method of appetite enhancement is not known, but it can cause high blood sugar.[1]

Currently, it is manufactured under the trade name Megace.[2]

It may cause adrenal insufficiency.[3]

My dad is 81, he has Parkinson's Disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Last January he was in the hospital for 2 weeks. After being discharged they sent him to a rehab for 10 days. During that 10 days, he lost 21 pounds and continues to steadily lose weight. Mom is scared because his skin is literally hanging from his body. His appetite does not appear to have changed much, not enough to warrant this consistent weight loss anyway. Mom and I are both puzzled and concerned.

Mom took dad to their primary care doctor a few weeks ago and voiced her concerns. At first the doctor feared a tumor. Which paniced both my parents. She ordered a complete battery of tests, including an MRI. Everything came back normal. So she prescribed Megestrol for my dad because it is supposed to increase the appetite. However, it can also cause high blood sugar. I'm so angry right now I could scream, as his sugar count has been up the last few days. Mom and I have been obsessing over his diet wondering what we gave him which suddenly caused this spike. His doctor should have known about this and either warned him or not prescribed it at all! Why would she prescribe something which such a horrible side effect for a diabetic?!?!

She's my PCP as well and I've never liked her bedside manner, she tends toward bored, surly, or just sad. In 4 years I have never seen this woman crack a smile. I don't expect a doctor to do a comedy routine; but a polite smile of greeting wouldn't hurt. Anyway, I have long suspected she wasn't quite up on the latest medical techniques and information. Looks like I am making a phone call to Aetna in the morning to get dad a new doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment