Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Prodigious & Prolific Period Continues

Written on day 15 of the period from hell.

My repro. endo. was able to squeeze me in for an ultrasound yesterday; and they discovered what appears to be another uterine fibroid, possibly two!

Back in early May I was told that I had 3 fibroids, but that one was not operable as it was intramural. So the surgery I had on 5/26/09 was to remove 2 submucosal fibroids. Well here's the kicker. Sometimes, very rarely, an intramural fibroid will pop through the uterine wall and become submucosal after other fibroids have been removed. (It's kinda like when you go to a store and you pull a bottle of nail polish off the rack and another one pops into it's place right away.) This fibroid saw an opening and took it. When the fibroid pops through the uterine wall it often causes what doctors call abnormal uterine bleeding. That's what has happend to me.

It may be interesting to note that I had pedunculated fibroids the size of large pears removed in November of 1998. Back then I was living in Massachusetts and the procedure was done laparoscopically. My recovery time was about a month.

However, the only way to confirm that is with a sonohysterogram and that can't be done until I stop bleeding. The way we stop my abnormal uterine bleeding is to put me on birth control pills for at least 2 months. It's not a normal dose of bcp's though. I am to take 3 pills a day for the first 7 days, then 2 pills a day for the next 7 days, then 1 pill a day for the next 7 days. Then I skip the placebo week, and start all over again. This is very upsetting to me because I just want to stop bleeding, so I can work on being healthy enough to get pregnant. Oh yeah, after my period stops, I go back in for the sonohysterogram and then they schedule me another surgery to remove this new fibroid(s) which has decided to poke it's ugly head out into my uterus.

So in the meantime I am borderline anemic and exhausted all the time because I am going through 8-10 maxi pads a day. Correction: I was using two of the Always thin ultra, overnight pads with wings at a time, but that just wasn't enough. So now I am using the extra large, ultimate Poise pad. It's gigantic and uncomfortable but it works. It is reminiscent of the old fashioned super Kotex that required the use of a belt.

If only my garden grew things as well as my uterus, I'd have a bumper crop of veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment